Georgia State Patrol officers followed him south on Interstate 75 till a location simply south of Cordele, where they used a PIT maneuver to cease his automobile and took him into custody. After the primary taking pictures, Cherokee County police launched surveillance footage and had been contacted by Long’s mother and father. While they had been being interviewed, the APD was responding to the second and third shootings in Atlanta. His parents knowledgeable deputies that Long’s Hyundai Tucson was geared up with a tracking gadget. Using surveillance footage of his automobile at each crime scenes along with the car’s tracker, police were able to verify his location.
The New York Times reported that Long “seemed to have a fixation on sexual temptation, one that can lead to despair amongst individuals who believe they’re failing to comply with the ideal of refraining from intercourse and even lust outdoors heterosexual marriage.” The suspect was identified as 21-yr-old Robert Aaron Long, a white man of Woodstock. From fall 2017 to fall 2018, Long was enrolled on the Cumming campus of the University of North Georgia, however he did not earn a degree or proceed his enrollment. The victims at Young’s Asian Massage in Cherokee County included the enterprise owner, a buyer there with her husband for a couples therapeutic massage, a handyman finishing a project, and an employee. The other victims at the Atlanta places included two spa staff and a supervisor.
Police Search For Motive In Atlanta Spa Shootings
“Asian American ladies are feeling the craze on this moment, in the fear that they now have about their very own security, their own ability to go to work, stroll down the street, go get groceries, go about their every day lives.” Among those stories, 68% of the victims have been women — that means women were focused 2.three occasions greater than males. And degrading depictions of Asian girls are “pervasive” in popular culture, Dr. Melissa Borja, an assistant professor of Asian/Pacific Islander American research at the University of Michigan, advised ABC News. Long has been charged with eight counts of homicide in the attack, however has not been charged with a hate crime.
- that Guterres was “profoundly concerned” over the rising anti-Asian sentiment during the pandemic, and specifically called out assaults towards Asian females, but refrained from particularly naming any nation.
- Some advocates and scholars have speculated that the shootings may have an intersectional motive because of overlapping stigmas about race, gender, and intercourse work.
- Asian-American basketball participant Jeremy Lin accused Trump’s rhetoric of inciting hatred.
- On a second 911 name, a woman tells the operator that she obtained a name from a good friend who stated a man had entered the spa and fired a gun.
- Six victims, four at Piedmont Road and two at Cherokee County, had been girls of Asian descent.
- Multiple consultants have stated that race cannot be dominated out as a motive because Asian women are fetishized in American society.
Robert Aaron Long, a 21-12 months-old white man, is accused of taking pictures 5 folks, together with Gonzalez’s spouse Delaina Ashley Yaun, at the first crime scene near Woodstock, about 30 miles north of Atlanta. In all, seven of the slain victims were ladies, six of them of Asian descent. ATLANTA — Eight people, together with six girls of Asian descent, died in shootings Tuesday at three spas in the Atlanta area, authorities said. While authorities are still investigating the motive behind Tuesday’s shooting spree at three Atlanta-space spas that left eight folks useless, together with six Asian ladies, some advocates say the violence is inextricably linked to a history of racism and misogyny towards Asian women. Authorities within the southern U.S. state of Georgia say suspect Robert Aaron Long claimed Tuesday’s shootings at three Atlanta-area therapeutic massage parlors weren’t racially motivated but were instead a result of “intercourse dependancy” issues. Because the shootings have been all at spas, Atlanta police said officers had been dispatched to comparable businesses, and that patrols had been increased.